My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jerinknits.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

bootJute Doormat - Free Knitting Pattern


    I decided to be completely crazy this week and try knitting up a doormat out of garden twine. It turned out much better than I expected. I am really happy with the result and I think it will make a great gift, especially for those people that don't wear hats or scarves. While I was breaking rules I also decided to try painting the finished product. It was so much fun. I felt a little like a kid with his hand in the candy jar. It went against all my instincts but since I was using twine I had to go for it.

    Pattern note - This turned out a little smaller than is ideal. I used  832 ft of twine but when I do it again I will use 1248 ft so that it is a bit longer.


 This is pattern #7 of the 14 free weekly patterns I'm posting through December.
Read more about it here.




bootJute


Yarn?: twisted jute garden twine, 4lb load limit
Needle: Size 15 straight or circular (worked back & forth)
Gauge: 2 sts & 3 rows per inch. (2 strands held together)

Cast-On 32 sts

     Row 1-4: knit
  
     Diamond Pattern:
        
           Row 1: k3, [p1, k11, p1] twice, k3
           Row 2: k3, [k2, p9, k2] twice, k3
           Row 3: k3, [k1, p2, k7, p2, k1] twice, k3
           Row 4: k3, [p2, k2, p5, k2, p2] twice, k3
           Row 5: k3, [k3, p2, k3, p2, k3] twice, k3
           Row 6: k3, [p4, k2, p1, k2, p4] twice, k3
           Row 7: k3, [k5, p3, k5] twice, k3
           Row 8: k3, [p6, k1, p6] twice, k3        
           Row 9: repeat row 7
           Row 10: repeat row 6
           Row 11: repeat row 5
           Row 12: repeat row 4
           Row 13: repeat row 3
           Row 14: repeat row 2
        
          Repeat these 14 rows until desired length.
     
     Work 4 rows in garter st.
     Bind off & weave in ends. 

After I finished knitting this up I painted it and then sprayed it with a clear glaze so that it stands up to people walking on it. It also took some reshaping to get it to lay right but it's perfect after I reshaped and put the clear coat on.  Here are some pics of the painting process. 




           

No comments:

Post a Comment